There are plenty of options out there that can naturally give your skin a smooth and youthful visage.
From laser skin rejuvenation to chemical peels, there’s no shortage of options for making your skin glow. But sometimes, you’ll see the most impressive results with high-level manual treatments that you may have never heard of.
For example, dermaplaning is the skin treatment of the future that can make an enormous difference in your appearance.
What Is Dermaplaning in NYC?
Dermaplaning takes the popular process of manual exfoliation to the next level by clearing off any grime or dead skin and leaving your face completely refreshed. It’s a popular facial treatment in New York City, and for good reason.
As with ‘typical’ exfoliation, this treatment involves the targeted removal of dead skin cells. Unlike at-home exfoliation, however, dermaplaning is completed by a highly trained esthetician. This professional uses medical-grade scalpels to gently remove the top layers of skin.
The treatment itself isn’t painful and typically doesn’t take long. Timing largely depends on the size of the treatment area. You may feel a gentle scratching sensation, but you won’t feel pain or discomfort.
Once the treatment is complete, your esthetician may apply a soothing gel or other skincare product to limit redness or irritation. In most cases, these side effects are mild enough to allow you to resume everyday activities immediately after the treatment.
Dermaplaning vs. Microdermabrasion
Skincare novices may struggle to tell the difference between dermaplaning and microdermabrasion. But these terms are not interchangeable, so it’s important to understand both before you decide which to pursue.
These options certainly have many similarities. Both can provide powerful exfoliation and give skin a fresher, more youthful look. Also, both procedures are performed by estheticians. The main differences lie in how the goal of smooth skin is achieved.
Dermaplaning facials in NYC involve high-level scalpels. With microdermabrasion, this scalpel is replaced with a specialized electric device, which is sometimes compared to a vacuum. The results can be powerful, but stronger side effects are possible for people with sensitive skin.
Microdermabrasion is also typically discouraged for pregnant and breastfeeding women. Thankfully, these women can still take advantage of dermaplaning.
What Are the Top Benefits of Dermaplaning?
Dermaplaning delivers a wide variety of benefits, which can differ from one person to the next. The top advantages include:
- Remove unwanted hair on the face. Your skin could be completely free of blemishes but still fail to glow simply because peach fuzz and invisible hairs are present. Also known as Vellus, this short, fine hair is far less visible than other types of hair, but the impact is remarkable when it’s removed. Better yet: without peach fuzz to trap dirt and oil, you’ll be less likely to suffer breakouts.
- Anti-aging effects. Ditch dull skin with the help of dermaplaning, which will reveal a fresher visage. This process also helps with cell turnover, so it will promote younger-looking skin in the days and weeks following your treatment.
- Improved results from facials. If you’re frustrated because facials don’t have a major impact, it’s possible that dead skin cells are getting in the way. Dermaplaning promptly removes these, so you can enjoy the full effect of each facial treatment, skincare product, or cosmetic procedure.
- Flawless makeup. Once you’ve ditched that pesky peach fuzz, dead skin cells, and those stubborn patches of dry skin, you’ll find it far easier to achieve a smooth, natural look when applying makeup.
- Reduce the appearance of acne scars. Acne scars can be incredibly difficult to treat, but dermaplaning helps.
The Benefits of Non-Invasive Treatments
Dermaplaning’s greatest benefits relate to the non-invasive nature of this treatment. As such, it’s available to many people who are traditionally unable to take advantage of high-level skincare treatments. Top candidates include:
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women. Having a child shouldn’t preclude women from achieving stunning skin. If anything, extra care is required during pregnancy and the newborn stage, as this is when mothers are most likely to be managing sleepless nights and significant hormonal changes. Dermaplaning delivers brighter skin without risking exposure to harmful chemicals for you or your baby.
- People with sensitive skin. Some of the most effective treatments are out of reach for people with highly sensitive skin. Dermaplaning provides an excellent alternative, as most skin types can handle this treatment.
- Skincare beginners. Because dermaplaning is so straightforward, clients who might ordinarily feel anxious about working with an esthetician instead feel safe. Over time, dermaplaning clients can build up even more confidence and, eventually, may be willing to try other types of treatments.
Laser by Monica: Your Trusted Dermaplaning Manhattan Experts
Dermaplaning is a top option at Laser by Monica, where we’re pleased to provide a variety of NYC facial treatments to suit every type of client.
We’d love to chat about your skincare needs and help you choose the best treatment for your specific needs.
Contact us today to learn more about dermaplaning treatments in NYC or to book your appointment.