There’s no denying that a mustache can be a trendy style choice. But if you don’t want a mustache, keeping the dark hairs over your lip away can be a real chore. Age, changing hormones, and health conditions like PCOS or diabetes can cause unwanted hairs to grow. Women, trans folks, and other people who prefer a smooth upper lip find themselves repeatedly waxing, shaving, or using depilatory creams to get rid of unwanted hair.
Laser hair removal is a safe and effective way to manage unwanted facial hair. The long-lasting treatment works with all skin tones and hair colors.
Benefits of Upper Lip Laser Treatments
Laser hair removal offers a long-term solution to unwanted hair. The dark hairs that appear on the upper lip can grow quickly. Hair removal methods like waxing, shaving, or plucking can lead to irritation due to frequent use. You may find that the hairs pop up unexpectedly, leaving you feeling self-conscious about your appearance.
Removing upper lip hair with laser treatments means you can avoid plucking or shaving. You’ll reduce the risk of ingrown hairs and irritated skin. You’ll also feel more confident about your appearance.
How Many Laser Sessions Will I Need to Permanently Remove Upper Lip Hair?
You will need more than one session to remove all the unwanted hair from your upper lip because of how treatment affects hair.
Laser hair removal involves applying targeted beams of light to the area being treated. The light heats up the pigment in the hair but doesn’t affect the skin around it. When the hair heats up, it destroys the follicle under the skin, preventing new hair from growing.
Treatment only works on hairs that are in the growth phase. Since not all hairs are in the same phase at the same time, you will need to come in for several treatments to get the most complete results. Most people get the results they want with 3 to 6 treatments.
What Are the Side Effects of Laser Treatment for the Upper Lip?
Laser hair removal is safe when performed by a qualified technician. The procedure itself is non-invasive. There is some discomfort from the laser, but most people say it feels like a rubber band snapping against your skin. You can ask for a numbing cream to minimize any discomfort.
Before you come in for your appointment, you will need to follow some simple instructions to ensure a safe, effective treatment, including:
- Avoid sun exposure, tanning beds, and spray tanning for two weeks.
- Do not take antibiotics for two weeks before your appointment. If you need to take antibiotics for a health condition, you can reschedule your laser treatment for another time.
- Do not wax or pluck the hair on your upper lip for several weeks. Laser hair removal works best when the hair is in the follicle. Waxing or plucking removes hair and reduces effectiveness.
- You can shave the area being treated. Shorter hair allows the laser to penetrate the follicle more easily.
- If you want a numbing cream, ask your technician when to apply it before your appointment.
After your treatment, you may experience some redness or tenderness. It might feel like you have a mild sunburn. You can use a cool compress to ease any soreness, and it should feel better within a few hours.
You’ll need to take care of the skin of your upper lip after your treatment:
- Keep the treated area clean. Avoid exfoliation or harsh cleansers that could irritate it, especially if you have sensitive skin.
- Use an ice pack or cool compress to soothe redness or soreness.
- Avoid direct sun exposure to the treated area.
- Ask which skin care products are safe to use immediately after treatment. You may need to avoid some prescription strength products for a few days.
Does Upper Lip Hair Grow Back After Laser Treatments?
Laser hair removal is not permanent. The treatment damages the follicle, so it can’t grow hair back until it heals, but most follicles do recover. The hair removal can last for several months or longer. When hair does grow back, it is usually lighter and finer. You can come back for touch-up treatments when the hair starts to return.
Get Started With Upper Lip Laser Hair Removal in Murray Hill
You can choose between booking single appointments or a package of six sessions for the cost of five individual sessions. We look forward to providing excellent laser hair removal in the Murray Hill neighborhood of Manhattan!